Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday 27 October 2013

Best Idea Ever: Magic Moments Shirts



Best Idea Ever: Magic Moments Shirts



This is an idea that I pass along to all the teachers who attend my workshops:
Use your computer (large fonts, color, and graphics) to create a visual representation of an idea or concept you want your students to remember. Print the image, in reverse, on iron-on transfer paper, and then iron the transfer onto a white t-shirt. Wear the shirt on the day you introduce the concept represented. Students will be looking at your shirt all day long -- which will dramatically increase their ability to remember the concept. These shirts are colorful and fun, and get the message across many more times than I could possibly say it aloud.

I have a complete closet full of these idea and concept shirts. I teach 4th through 8th grade, so I have everything on shirts from parts of speech, to reducing fractions, to the writing process, to our classroom behavior rules.
My students love to predict when I will be wearing a new "Magic Moment" shirt. At the end of the year I have a drawing of shirts that need to be retired, and the students love to take them home. I have even seen them being worn by former students!

0 comments:

Post a Comment